According to the Peace Treaty 10 February 1947, Italy had to restore to Yugoslavia all the objects of public nature having artistic, historical, scientific, educational or religious value removed from the territory ceded to Yugoslavia after the Second World War, as well as those received from Austria or Hungary after the First World War. Yugoslavia presented long lists of claims. The negotiations between the Italian and Yugoslav delegations began in 1948, and focused on a number of specific items: two Carpaccio paintings; the Italian Institute of Speleology at the Postojna caves; the Institute for Sea Biology in Rovinj; the Archaeological Museum in Pula, and the Paravia Library in Zadar. The Italian agreement’s proposals tried to balance the diplomatic relationship with Yugoslavia and the feelings of the Istrian-Dalmatian exiles. On the 15 September 1961, after 13 years, Italy and Yugoslavia finally signed the agreement on the restitution of cultural assets.
|Titolo:||"Why Should it be all on us Istrians to Have to Pay for a War that was Lost by Everyone?": the Italian Delegation's Activity for the Restitution of Cultural Assets to Yugoslavia after the Second World War|
|Data di pubblicazione:||Being printed|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||2.1 Contributo in volume (Capitolo o Saggio)|
File in questo prodotto:
|Franchi Elena_Ljubljana_Essay.pdf||Pre-print||Nessuna licenza||Administrator|